Sunday, April 22, 2012

Cooking with Kat part 1

It's summer vacation (although student years are over and I'm not supposed to have a vacation) and I have nothing to do... I came back to my old experimental cooking habit.

I'm not a good cook. It's not as bad as it used to be when I will try to cook and burn it all or it will end up looking like garbage and will taste the same as it looks. I've become much better but still far from a good one. That doesn't stop me from cooking stuff though. I do dream of owning a cafe or a bakery one day. I don't just want to be an owner though. I want to create pastries and make a good cup of coffee.

#1 Salty Whole Wheat Baguette French Toast (with some toasted baguette on the side)

French Toast, I think, is usually sweet, right? But I wasn't in the mood for sweets that day so I lessened the amount of condensed milk and sprinkled a bit of salt instead. I think it tasted fine but my older sister didn't like it since it's not the usual sweet kind. BTW, my older sister kills at French Toast. It's on the bag of her specialties, together with her special Leche Flan.


As what the title says, I used a whole wheat baguette (from French Baker). 

Buttery goodness. Yum. 

#2 Mini Cupcakes (and afternoon tea)

This, I just made yesterday. My mini cupcakes in 4 different flavors! Yeah. 
 The little brown ones are chocolate (made with chocolate syrup), the bigger ones in dark brown is coffee (my fave. I added some instant coffee powder), pink ones are strawberry (2nd fave. Made with strawberry milk) and the simple white ones are plain with a little bit of maple syrup. 


I used pancake batter on this one and I put them on little plastic cups. I cooked it in the microwave, however, it did not turn out so good. Although the taste was fine, the texture isn't. And it was a bit hard because I think I put it in the oven too long.

Tea! A favorite next to coffee. 

 Tazo tea my friend gave me. Planning to buy myself one since it's just too good!

#3 Banana Oatmeal Fritters and Cupcakes


My little snack today. I think this is the best one yet. Although I was a little disappointed with the cupcakes, but adding a little choco syrup did help on the taste. The fritters were good though (since all things fried are good...haha). I do believe it would taste heavenly with a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream.

I used my leftover batter from yesterday's cupcakes. I put some banana and oatmeal but the taste wasn't as overpowering as I had hoped it would be. :( Adding cinnamon would be a great idea (I would have if I had some). My sister did say she tasted the bananas. But it wasn't enough for me. Bananas don't really have that strong taste so it was expected.



Since my little cupcakes yesterday were made in the microwave was a texture failure, I decided to steam them today. It took longer but definitely made it all better. It was soft, soft soft. And the bananas I put gave it a little gooey texture on the inside. Yummeh. 

I made similar fruit cupcakes a few years ago but with apples and apple cinnamon jelly spread instead of bananas and oatmeal. It was the best one I have ever made so far (melts in your mouth, really. The apples were just so great eaten hot because it was so much sweeter). I cooked those in the microwave but it was the right kind of soft. Maybe the spread helped. I haven't made it again though, because that jelly spread is just so so so hard to find nowadays.


Okay. That's it. 
Maybe I'll cook some more next time.

Wannabe pastry chef,
Kat

No comments:

Post a Comment